Saturday 8 October 2011

Talk of the river.




As the guides sit in the coffee bar near our office in Thamel – Kathmandu – Nepal, having just finished a Trisuli trip, we chat about rivers we love and the places that we will always return to. For my part its the great lines and amazing twists and turns of the Bhote Kosi that will always light my passion. The steep rapids come with a full force feel, no stops and few pause. Its full of lines you just don't want to miss.


For longer trips the Sun Kosi cannot be beaten, time and again I just love to return. Big waves to surf, sunshine and 11 days of river living – nothing beats it. The Karnali is also a fine wilderness run and has a real expedition feel – pure and perfect.


Between Kathmandu and Pokhara the Trisuli, although roadside, offers a day or so of great playboating and some time to warm up for more challenges. Then we have runs like the Myagdi and Mahakali, lesser known run, but still classic descents – planned to perfection in the heart of Nepal.


I guess this is why I am drawn back time and again, to feel the sand under my toes and witness the clear sky as I sleep – away from all the noise and rush, rush of Kathmandu to the pace of the river and the time well spent.

No comments: